CRD Regional Growth Strategy and the urban containment boundary

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:08 PM

Ok as discussed in the Bear Mountain Thread. Unfortunately this comes with required reading:

CRD Regional Growth Strategy

http://www.crd.bc.ca/reports/regionalplanning_/generalreports_/regionalgrowthstrate_/regionalgrowthstrate/Regional_Growth_Strategy.pdf#view=Fit

Unfortunately most of this plan has not been adopted because of the insane amount of municipal governments. The map on page 26 does outline the Urban Containment Boundary that does exist currently though.

To alter it all municipal councils must pass the change.

Alright them go to it!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

CRD seeking public feedback on regional growth issues
By VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=1879

The Capital Regional District will be hosting a public consultation forum to generate feedback from residents on issues such as transportation, housing and plans for future growth.

The session will utilize MetroQuest’s planning tool that will enable participants to “vote” on options for managing regional issues. [...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:26 AM

I am definitely going. If anyone wants to get together for a pint before or after, send me a PM.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#4 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

I am at the forum, I will let you all know what happens

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

I am finding this MetroQuest tool they are using for input a meaningless and pointless source of data for planning anything. The questions they are asking are simplistic.

#6 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

About 120 people here

#7 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:53 PM

This is a very BANANA crowd

#8 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

The meeting is devoling into a gong show and being dominated by cranks.

#9 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

This meeting is a waste of time, if this is the tenor of public opinion, the input will only be noise. There will be very little that matters that will come from tonight. I may leave as it is a mess

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:29 PM

Glad I gave it a pass. How many dignitaries are still there?

#11 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

Horgan and Savoie are still here.

The simplistic questions are pissing off the people, the presenter also sucks at doing this.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:34 PM

God sounds awful thanks for posting Bernard.

#13 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:48 PM

People are raising issues WAYYYY off the scope of this simple tool they are using. A grab bag of the issues de jour of the chattering classes.

you can see the survey at http://crd.metroquest.com

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

I remember some planning session I went to a while ago about our vision of Victoria 50 years from now. The presenter from the City was trying to get everyone to brainstorm about the massive change coming in society and a little old lady was saying she wanted a bus stop in front of her building. No matter how much the facilitator pleaded she wouldn't budge from her desired bus stop.

I can see how that spiffy software could balk when it comes to questions out of left field. They design it thinking they're going to get a nice co-operative cross section of society but the reality is the people that show up are the same usual suspects that have attended these meetings for years, even decades. They're wise to the snowjobs they think government and consultants are giving them.

All they want is their neighbourhood left alone and everyone else be d@mned.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#15 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the live updates, Bernard!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#16 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

I thought the presenter did a really good job given the crazies in the audience. Despite all the questions being dominated by crazies and pet-issue obsessed egotists, they all came from the same 5-6 people out of 120. The whole thing seemed designed to show people that if they want their priorities for the city (transit, eco-footprint, vibrant downtown, farms) they'll have to accept more density. It was very simplistic but sometimes you need something simple to get a message across, in this case the message was "density GOOD, sprawl BAD!" And as frustrating as the endless pedantic questions and bat**** insane comments were, they were also very entertaining.

A lot of people didn't understand that the focus was extremely general, a lot of people came with huge emotional investments in their minor pet issues and of course got angry that the meeting wasn't a forum dedicated to them.

It was a fluff meeting, but it might have educated and changed a few minds on the direction the city needs to take in terms of density. Not that the CRD has the teeth to really enforce these grand plans...

I my self learned that society would be better off if our children were raised in the forest, and that almost all the city's pollution comes from float planes.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

What were the pet issues from the vocal minority?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#18 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:44 PM

At every stage there was "excuse me, what about a NO growth strategy!!" and a couple people kept going on and on about their little neighbourhood outside of sooke or what not. And of course a lady from james bay who rambled about evil tour busses and cruise ships every chance she could. There was a little group of very rural people very concerned about preserving their rural way of life, and by god this meeting shouldn't dare talk about anything else. Oh, and an interesting fellow who suggested all children be raised deep in the woods.

But this all came from only about 5-10 people out of 120, so a way better crazy-ratio than your average city council meeting. Outside they had boards set up for you to write stick-notes on, and for every "NO GROWTH!! TAX DEVELOPERS!" there were 10 thoughtful comments about density and vibrancy.

#19 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

I would disagree that the presenter did a good job, he was losing control almost all the time. He did as well as I could have. I have been in situations like that - running meetings and having them go out of control - I do not have the skills to avoid the problem. There are people out there that do and would have stopped the forum from digressing. Jody Patterson, as an example, can do this very well.

My count of the people taking it off track was higher than 5-10, I put it at 10 to 15 people, a significant portion of the crowd.

The nature of how things were running and the simplistic approach meant that over the forum about 15 to 20 people walked out. Two of them were retired planners, one recently having moved to the CRD.

The way the forum was advertised did not mesh with what happened. As an educational forum on regional planning it could have worked.

I also question the choice of a James Bay hotel as the location. Should they not have held it closer to the centre of the region? Why not at the Burnside Gorge Community centre of SJ Willis school. In both cases the room rental would have not have gone to a private business

#20 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

Yeah I wouldn't disagree with any of that, I just try to look on the bright side of things. I do wish the guy had the guts to alienate/marginalize the crazies so the tone and topics could have been a little more relevant. Yeah you might get some of them walking out or shouting, but it's better than having experts and genuinely interested people walking out. The guy chose to appease the crazies every time and let them run the meeting.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users