Photo

Auto-free Government Street

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think Government St should be closed from Humbolt to Yates Street? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Government St should be closed from Humbolt to Yates Street?

1. yes (32 votes [69.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.57%

2. no (14 votes [30.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 missjanny

missjanny
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:01 PM

Times Colonist is asking people's opinions about the possibility of closing Government Street - Humbolt to Yates. Opportunity to "sound off" in the Times Colonist on this topic is at http://www.canada.com/shareit/soundoff/post.html?id=e3757da7-2e03-483a-8072-bdab79b231fa

#2 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:04 PM

I voted yes.

I think having no car traffic to worry about would help improve government street, the relaxed nature and the tourists would love the lack of noisy car traffic!

(But shouldn't this be in "Urban Issues"?)

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:10 PM

Welcome missjanny!

There's already an old thread on this in the infrastructure forum:

http://www.vibrantvi...topic.php?t=198
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,130 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

no idea is too crazy for me to consider (not that this is a crazy idea), i say close it this year & see what happens. i have heard people talk about it but never in newspapers or anything. i say lets try it & see.

#5 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:38 PM

I'm OK with the idea of closing it on Friday and Saturday nights. Maybe even all day on Sunday.

I am fiercely opposed to it being permanently closed to traffic.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,821 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:34 AM

I think that it should be open to traffice weekday mornings from 6 - 10 and closed the rest of the time. We need electric bollards!!!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:13 AM

They should run a trial for a month in the summer. Great place for the buskers and lots of room if no cars.

I think as a compromise, close it from Canada day till Labour day & allow vehicles M-F 5AM-5PM Sat 5AM-Noon.

In fact go one step further and close it from Belleville to Yates

Lots of great destinations have similar setups and they are wonderful for drawing people.

Isnt that what this part of Victoria is supposed to be, a tourist destination?

#8 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:23 AM

I think that it should be open to traffice weekday mornings from 6 - 10 and closed the rest of the time. We need electric bollards!!!

That would make sense.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,894 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:34 AM

Bollards. Oh dear...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=i_Cw0QJU8ro

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:38 AM

^ Well, exactly! The comic relief would make up for losing the marimba bands, no? 8)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,821 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:45 AM

I love stupid people!!! That is awesome. I bet that is the last time any of those people tailgate a bus :lol:

It has a whole new look!

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,875 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:46 AM

I always have trouble envisioning these sorts of things. So are we saying we'd cut Fort Street at Government? Or would Fort Street go through at all times? If you cut it, then there'd be no way to access the parking spaces on Fort between Broad and Government because Fort is one way. I can't think the city would like that and I suspect the businesses on that block wouldn't like it either. Also, what about cars that are parked on side streets at the meters closest to Government, facing Government (for example, on Fort below Government or View above it)? When Government closes, wouldn't it be possible for them to be stuck? No room to maneuver forward because of the bollards and no room to reverse because of the car parked at the meter behind them?

Personally, I'd prefer to invest money/energy in making Wharf Street a nicer pedestrian street before doing something like this.

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,821 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:15 AM

I would envision all East - West Streets remaining open and just having Govt. St closed to through traffic.

It has a whole new look!

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:19 AM

I think the cross streets could function more or less as they are now, except for turning onto Gov't during the time the streets are closed.

Hmm...how about making the bollards pop-up toilets? Two birds/one stone. Think about it...both are used only at night. Ah, genius...pure genius...
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,821 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:25 AM

That is a good idea :)

It has a whole new look!

#16 zingzamzoom

zingzamzoom
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:31 AM

Haha! That video was really funny. I think it is a great idea to shut Government off from traffic during the spring and summer months. I often go to Calgary during the summer and they have a street that is downtown that is cutoff from traffic. I think it is called Steven Avenue. It works really well. It feels nice to have a road with no traffic and to have the freedom to walk all around. It would be great for the tourists also, and would allow for a continuation of performers to be from the harbour to Yates. Please do it!

Aaron

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,875 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:43 AM

I don't see how you can leave Fort open to traffic if Government on either side is closed. People would be getting hit by cars all the time. Normally I mock doom-and-gloom forecasts like that, but in this instance I'm sure I'm right. Heck, tourists get hit by cars on Government all the time even now. If you close two sections of it but leave a river of death running down the middle, I guarantee you people will constantly be crossing without looking.

#18 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:46 AM

Fort St. = River of Death.

Love it. :)

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,821 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:49 AM

You would keep the signal lights there. People would still have to stop on a red light.

Also to be honest I barely pay attention to the fort street lights anyways as traffic is light there usually.

It has a whole new look!

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

^Are you speaking as a pedestrian or a driver? :o

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users