[Downtown Victoria] Kirk Hall office | 10-storeys | Canceled in 2009

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

Now that Westbank is no longer working with the church on the combined Ballantyne/Kirk Hall office project, I figured we should have a separate thread.

Robert Randall mentioned that the Kirk Hall site will be developed by the church and designed by de Hoog Kierulf's Charles Kierulf.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:43 PM

de Hook Kierulf's Charles Kierulf.

It's de Hoog & Kierulf Architects.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for catching that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:36 PM

Could be good. The building currently there is nothing much to look at from the street, so I'm looking forward to seeing something better in here. Too bad about loosing the gym though, although I guess the church is prepared to do this. I wonder if a similar sort of gym or hall will be built in it's place.

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:41 PM

There will be no gym, but the church does want a meeting hall without stairs and other related spaces in addition to the commercial office space which will be leased out. Initially we heard a height of five storeys but this may be outdated. I don't have any new installation.

#6 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:06 AM

what church?

#7 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:06 AM

St. Andrews Presbyterian, on Douglas. The church is at the corner of Douglas & Broughton, but owns the property behind it on Courtney, behind the ex-Ballantyne Florists building (by Di Castri), which is on the corner of Douglas & Courtney. It's an unassuming-looking building (the church property), which houses a gymnasium. Part of the small surface parking lot to its east is, I believe, also part of the church's holdings, but I could be mistaken.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:08 PM

This project may now be canceled and the church may end up using Kirk Hall as office space.

Know it all.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:11 PM

Rob Randall of the DRA reports this project is back on track and more info should be made available in the next few weeks.

Know it all.

#10 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:09 AM

I know the space. It is unbearably hot in the summer and it actually has a hydraulic thrust stage that doesn't currently work. It is a cinderblock building and contains a terrific gym, a well laid-out kitchen, offices, and meeting rooms. The church occasionally sponsors breakfasts for the homeless there. The infrastructure just needs some updating - it is a great space. It could be used by the Y, or for yoga classes, meetings, concerts, events, etc. Unfortunately sometimes people don't realize what they have until it is gone. Some fundraising and a dedicated manager with vision would turn that place into a downtown gem.

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:46 PM

Still on track. More news next week.

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

There is an increase in height of two or three storeys. There is no developer yet but they hope that rezoning will attract one.

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:54 PM

Updated renderings in .pdf are available on the St. Andrew's website. Click on "the design":

http://standrews.pacificcoast.net/

#14 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:40 PM

Not a bad little building, but they got a lot more tithes to collect if they're going to build it.

I wonder what will go on the corner though.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:03 PM

Blank wall to the north, mostly blank wall to the east...that's just not right.

In developing City hall, Victoria faced a very similar challenge to that faced by St Andrews. A new modern office was built as an annex to the historic City hall. The juncture between the two is handled by effective use of materials rather than any compromise in form. There is no attempt to mimic the old town look or create "faux" heritage.

Worked out wonderfully, didn't it?

#16 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:07 PM

The idea is sound, but what a horrible example...

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:35 PM

Should update the proposal height to 10 eh?

#18 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:43 PM

For some reason the "pdf" file keeps crashing every time I try to open it. Could someone post a rendering or 2 of the proposal here?

#19 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:11 PM

Here are two of the renderings

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:45 PM

Only those with moderator privileges can view attachments. Can you upload it to Photobucket? Priddy pleez?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users