Photo

Vista 18 - Chateau Victoria Hotel | Victoria | Burdett Street

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

A little while ago Chateau Victoria's Vista 18 restaurant was on an upswing but now it's offerings have degraded to average pub fare. I ordered appetizers last night and my little mushroom pizza was mushy, lacked any flavour and looked put together in seconds ($6). The "vista chips," (also $6) were a mix of thin shavings of sweet potatoes (or potatoes -- they weren't flavourful at all so I couldn't tell) accompanied by a watery dip that was quite distasteful.

Vista is a great place for the views, but I've lost absolutely all enthusiasm for the food. You're better off going to one of the other restaurants nearby for dinner and hopping up to Vista for a beer once you're done if you're inclined to see views of the city.

PS: is there already a thread for Vista 18? I couldn't find it.

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:50 PM

I went there recently after hearing the place had turned around.
It was an absolutely terrible experience. The food was overcooked mash, drenched in butter.
But the service was what made the experience abysmal. The hostess was a complete ***** and the waiter's best talent was ignoring us. (In a half empty restaurant.)

I will never go again.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:44 PM

Vista is like an average diner with a view. Pretty sad considering the unique opportunity presented here.

The chef that was responsible for turning the place around must have left.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:13 PM

An acquaintance recently celebrated her and her husbands 40th anniversary dinner at Vista. Their appetizer was undercooked and had spoiled ingredients, and the entres fell so short of expectations that the waitress removed them from the bill (I don't understand why the entire bill wasn't removed if spoiled ingredients were served).

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:37 PM

Vista 18 is hiring.

Vista 18 is undergoing a full redecoration and will be reopening early February with a new look, menu and philosophy. We are seeking hard working and driven individuals to come join our team. If you are looking for a job to get you started in the hospitality industry then this is your chance. Successful applicant will have a strong desire to learn and the ability to take direction and be a part of a team. Previous experience and asset, the right attitude is a must.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

A restaurant that markets itself as an upper scale locale shouldn't be a place of learning for inexperienced staff.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

A restaurant that markets itself as an upper scale locale shouldn't be a place of learning for inexperienced staff.

It does seem a bit strange. BUT, if training is done correctly, I think you can teach people to become a wait-person with a one-day training program. Seriously, I know, some of you will tell me that being a server is a tough job, I bet it is. But I bet it's not hard to learn how to do it properly. Alas, some people will never be able to learn customer-service skills.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

As a former restaurant manager I would often choose applicants without a lot of serving experience because it is easier to get them to serve in the way you want your customers served. Often people with extensive experience can bring bad habits that are hard to curtail.

#9 hoi polloi

hoi polloi
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:47 PM

holden has quoted the bus person position, not the host or server postions advertised, which request one and two years prior experience and SIR.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:53 AM

Vista 18 Westcoast Grill & Wine Bar

...is the new name.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:02 AM

This is a great venue. They open at 6:30 AM and is a great place to have eggs benny and watch the sunrise in the winter spring and fall. Priceless.

#12 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:24 AM

I went once. My friend and I arrived about 8pm on a weekday and the room was about 20% occupied. Vista 18 - the name says it all! Great place to look out over The Empress with golden light over the hills.
Let's sit by the window and enjoy The Vista!
"Sorry that section is closed."
WTF? A beer is a beer all over town. You have a view to sell and "that section is closed"! Clueless.
Why would I go back?

#13 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 11:52 AM

Dropped in this morning for breaky celebrating our anniversary, brought the kidlin' along - would definitely go back for breakfast for sure.

The service was excellent, the food very tasty and of course there is that view. Prices were very reasonable too I thought. Was perhaps half to 2/3 full so busy but not crazy stupid so...just about right because sound does travel in here. I heard way more than I cared too from the table behind us about their opinions of various Japanese cities, a speeding ticket issued on the PBH that they thought was questionable and the "too tall" new buildings popping up downtown, lol.

It helps from a convenience perspective that Mrs ASE's company leases parking space in the basement of the hotel too :). Would definitely go back. Two thumbs up....

• Matt R. and Spy Black like this

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 11:56 AM

...I heard way more than I cared too from the table behind us about...the "too tall" new buildings popping up downtown...

#irony

I've had more good than bad experiences at Vista 18. Glad to know it's still up-to-snuff.

• Spy Black likes this

#15 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 12:04 PM

I have a soft spot for V18.

I think it could be marketed better. It’s very unique.

It should be THE place everyone goes to for something special.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 December 2022 - 12:08 PM.

• Nparker and Spy Black like this

#16 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,878 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 12:25 PM

Vista upstairs, Clive’s downstairs, and the hotel is great too. Love staying at the Chateau Vic.
  • AllseeingEye, Victoria Watcher and Spy Black like this

#17 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 12:35 PM

^ tourist in his own hometown.
  • Matt R. likes this

#18 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,878 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 12:37 PM

After selling our townhouse, we used to stay at Paul’s…

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 04:35 PM

After selling our townhouse, we used to stay at Paul’s…

Not sure you'd want to do that now.

#20 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,878 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 05:27 PM

It's a tragedy.  My partner works in the area so I am there often and have witnessed the decline up close and personal, but not in a gradual way.  It's a funny thing, coming to Victoria often enough to see how things are changing, but not so often that the changes aren't sometimes sudden and severe.

I haven't seen the sometimes gradual changes that most of you have.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users