Photo

Victoria Official Community Plan

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:33 PM

Apologies if this has been discussed before but there is now a website for public consultation about the Victoria Community Plan at
http://www.shapeyourfuturevictoria.ca/. I haven't looked at it too carefully, but seems like an important resource for folks to make their voices heard.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

Electronic surveys were set up in front of the Save-on-Foods at Westside Village the other day. It appeared as though people were quite receptive to them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:36 AM

They were also in the Bay Centre yesterday, but very, very understated and not busy at all.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

Reminder that this is the last day to do the survey. There will be some crazies filling this out saying the best future for Victoria is to pull up the drawbridge and halt all development so lets make sure that doesn't become the dominant theme the City hears.

http://www.shapeyourfuturevictoria.ca/
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:37 PM

Anyone else think the survey was rubbish? Two questions that are the almost the same. Half the answers are "green", want to write in something else ... you can .. if it's "about sustainable". Nothing directly about tourism, or crime.

#6 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:28 PM

Anyone else think the survey was rubbish? Two questions that are the almost the same. Half the answers are "green", want to write in something else ... you can .. if it's "about sustainable". Nothing directly about tourism, or crime.

HAHA, total rubbish!! Although, I see they learned their lesson from the JSB design poll and upgraded from SurveyMonkey to SurveyGizmo...ooooooo!

I agree, the terms they gave were meaningless. What they ought to have done was flesh out some definitions or examples of what they were asking us to rank. What the hell does "Developing compact, complete neighbourhoods" mean? How does "Upgrading infrastructure" differ from "Improving community facilities?"

I also found it irritating at the beginning where it asked for my personal information so that I could automatically be entered into a prize draw. There was no mention anywhere on the shapeyourfuturevictoria site about a prize draw. As far as I know, it was added there by the survey company so that I could sign up for unreasonably jacked up natural gas rates.

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

1. Improving Access to Affordable Housing
2. Taking Action on Climate Change
3. Providing Green Transportation Options
4. Enhancing Economic Vitality
5. Upgrading Infrastructure
6. Strengthening Arts, Culture and Entertainment
7. Developing Compact, Complete Neighbourhoods
8. Preserving the Natural Environment
9. Improving Emergency Preparedness
10. Conserving Heritage Resources
11. Improving Community Facilities
12. Securing Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency

Taking action on climate change, preserving the natural environment, securing renewable energy...is this really about the city of Victoria's community plan?

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

Enhancing economic vitality sounds like a really good idea. I think the city should really be looking into that.

#9 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

Did you pick “Other” for your Sustain-a-bucks?

Sustain-a-bucks?...Sustain-a-bucks? :rolleyes:

#10 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

I thought this might be a good place to air this thought.

I just watched on Island Report where Stephen Ashton (a councilor in Tofino) has proposed a bylaw to ban some franchises like McDonald's and Starbucks from leasing or operating within city limits.

I cant imagine that this is a part of their OCP. Maybe it is.

Nevertheless that is quite a bold move for a governing body. This will no doubt draw a legal interest from Toronto.

I was always under the impression that bylaws should be consistent with Community Plans.

#11 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

I just watched on Island Report where Stephen Ashton (a councilor in Tofino) has proposed a bylaw to ban some franchises like McDonald's and Starbucks from leasing or operating within city limits.

Can they legally even do this?

#12 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:20 PM

Can they legally even do this?

My thoughts exactly.

Is it possible to legislate that a person or a corporation is deemed unable to conduct business?

I thought that this topic was the pillar of our freedom

#13 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:42 AM

My thoughts exactly.

Is it possible to legislate that a person or a corporation is deemed unable to conduct business?

I thought that this topic was the pillar of our freedom

But it's not about the rights of the corporation, person or business. I see no problem with a group of individuals - a political entity - decide in a democratic fashion that they don't want fast food restaurants in their polity. They were the first and should be able to set the parameters oc their existence, provided that their rules don't harm anyone or offend social morays.

#14 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:00 AM

But how can you say "no starbucks", but other coffee shops are allowed. As for fast food, I'm sure they can ban drive throughs, sign color schemes, or even deep fat fryers. But as long as I can get a burger and fries at a number of restaurants, I don't see how they can ban McDonalds.

Even if they can under Canadian law, I'm sure a lawyer could find a NAFTA violation..

#15 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

But how can you say "no starbucks", but other coffee shops are allowed. As for fast food, I'm sure they can ban drive throughs, sign color schemes, or even deep fat fryers. But as long as I can get a burger and fries at a number of restaurants, I don't see how they can ban McDonalds.

Even if they can under Canadian law, I'm sure a lawyer could find a NAFTA violation..

Intersting point. I suppose the rub is entrenching it in an OCP. If they just had a gentlemen's agreement around the council table to ban these restaurants, they could just vote against their business licence, development permit, etc.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:35 AM

I think you are right. If they are worried, then make bylaws that will make it harder or more pleasing for their signage etc.

It's the old Wal-mart story. Everyone hates Wal-mart, because (presumably the same) everyone shops there.

"Tofino doesn't want a Starbucks!" Well, if nobody wanted it, and none of your tourists like it, they would not last very long.

#17 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

HAHA, total rubbish!! Although, I see they learned their lesson from the JSB design poll and upgraded from SurveyMonkey to SurveyGizmo...ooooooo!

I agree, the terms they gave were meaningless. What they ought to have done was flesh out some definitions or examples of what they were asking us to rank. What the hell does "Developing compact, complete neighbourhoods" mean? How does "Upgrading infrastructure" differ from "Improving community facilities?"

I also found it irritating at the beginning where it asked for my personal information so that I could automatically be entered into a prize draw. There was no mention anywhere on the shapeyourfuturevictoria site about a prize draw. As far as I know, it was added there by the survey company so that I could sign up for unreasonably jacked up natural gas rates.

These exact comments were raised at a forum on the OCP in James Bay last night.

As far as all the emphasis on sustainability, I think that the province has made it a requirement that OCPs address this issue. So Victoria decided that this would be the overarching context and that everything in the OCP will be subservient to it.......
Pieta VanDyke

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:15 PM

I thought the options were pretty lame.

I tried not to vote for anything that was sustainable, because I'd like to see, just once, something that everyone says is unsustainable actually not be able to sustain itself, to see if it can really happen.

12. Securing Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency

I really don't understand that one, at least the first part. Hydro is renewable energy, how are we as a city supposed to secure it? Is it unsecure now, or is it likely to be in the future? Can we just sign a contract now to buy lots of it in the future?

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

Enhancing economic vitality sounds like a really good idea. I think the city should really be looking into that.

They've already started. A couple nights ago they asked Saanich for money, now they are going to Esquimalt and Oak Bay next. A few weeks ago they asked Vanoc for money, before that they asked the province and the CRD for money for the bridge. If they become the owner of some hotels they are set to ask others for money too. Vital stuff.

#20 Dennis Carlsen

Dennis Carlsen
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

I watch all the effort that goes into creating an OCP and then see it basically ignored the moment it is adopted. It makes it easy for me to be cynical. How many people have read any part of the current OCP? How many people here plan to read the new OCP a month/a week/ a day after it is adopted? How many people honestly believe that decisions will be made based on policies that were slaved over and wordsmithed by the community, staff and politicians?

Here's my suggestion. Make the OCP a fold out double sided brochure. Want specifics. Go see the neighbourhood plan.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users