Photo

Gravel Crete, Gravelpave, EcoGrid for Permeable 'Green' Driveway?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:36 PM

I've heard that Victoria doesn't allow gravel driveways but I'm wondering about the new plastic grid gravel holders. We have a worn lumpy driveway and a water pooling problem in heavy rains and would like to try something water permeable, which is also a 'green' strategy (keep water out of the storm sewers).
The new plastic grid products hold gravel (or grass) in place and provide a strong support for vehicles. The grids click together and are 'easy' for DIY's.
Traditional drainage using perforated PVC poses design and cost challenges due to our below street-level grade. Pavers are nice but far too costly.
I've read the promos on some of the new permeable products but have not seen any feedback from home owners on these products. Prices are currently prohibitive but will come down one day, but meanwhile we are seeking people's experience. Here are a few sellers with products available in Canada:

http://www.terrafirm...cogrid/e40.html
http://www.invisible...ravelpave2.html

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:41 AM

I currently have a short gravel driveway, no one ever told me I could not have one

#3 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:06 PM

Pervious concrete is another option.

#4 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:13 PM

How about an Open Graded Asphalt, I believe they are pervious.

#5 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:02 PM

not sure if available in canada, but i think this is the best looking permeable paver on the market.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=weQMBAHL_9g

#6 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:27 PM

From the zoning bylaw ( http://www.victoria....rv_zonbyl.shtml )
See Schedule C:
"7.1 For the purposes of this section, “permeable” means such
consolidated surface materials as grasscrete, grass pave,
SF-RIMA, and brick pavers, but not unconsolidated materials such
as crushed rock, gravel, grass, earth or other loose materials."

I doubt enforcing this requirement to existing driveways is high on the bylaw enforcement priority list, but would apply to new installations.

#7 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:22 PM

I suspect it depends on how much gravel you end up coming off your property. If there isn't much, I doubt the city will care. Start spreading gravel up and down the street and a different story may emerge.

#8 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

It is one of those things that is in the by-laws that it would never occurred to me that there is any regulation on. Local governments pass way too many by-laws with no on going intention to enforce them. Time to dramatically reduce the by-laws in all the local municipalities

#9 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

Time to dramatically reduce the by-laws in all the local municipalities

+1 on removing unneeded and ineffective bylaws.

#10 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

Removing the bylaw is fine, until suddenly some construction project or somebody's driveway starts spitting gravel all over the sidewalk and the road and they have no way to deal with it.

#11 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:13 PM

Removing the bylaw is fine, until suddenly some construction project or somebody's driveway starts spitting gravel all over the sidewalk and the road and they have no way to deal with it.

Yes, I believe that is the rationale--gravel getting on the road=getting in the drains, breaking windshields, etc. On the city property end of our driveway, we have gravel and as our driveway is near a dead end, people are constantly using it to turn around. I'm amazed at how many of them spin their wheels out of our driveway.

#12 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

Pervious concrete is another option.

I've seen two pervious concrete examples in my neighbourhood. There was a lot of unevenness, and breakage, dirt and weeds. It seems the plastic is more durable and easy to assemble. The plastic should become cheaper, but, for now, its still a novelty. Would love to see a sample of it in or near the city of Victoria.

#13 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

not sure if available in canada, but i think this is the best looking permeable paver on the market.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=weQMBAHL_9g

Thanks MarkCB. I like the look of these pavers but, based on a quote we had to do part of our driveway in pavers, I estimate it would cost about $15000 for the whole driveway.

#14 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:22 PM

I happened to see this material used in the Spectrum School parking lot in the north east corner.

It looked very useful and practical.

#15 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:28 PM

akimbo

I liked what I saw

#16 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:35 PM

Hey Sparky, Thanks for the pic. Yes, one of the companies sent me out to see their product at Spectrum school. Your pic looks very good, but I saw areas where the plastic was raised, torn and the surface uneven. That product is flimsier than some other brands. I would love to see an example of another product installed somewhere in Victoria. Can't figure out how to attach pics in this forum, but I have a pic of a product I saw at Lumberworld, that looks more robust. Pricey though: 6.49 for 20 x 20".

#17 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:55 PM

Thanks akimbo

Tomorrow I will post how to get your pic on the forum....unless Mike or Dylan beat me to it.

I think this type of product has merit..

Lets work on this together..

#18 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:02 AM

I've read the instructions on attaching photos, and I've tried two different browsers, but sorry, there is no button labeled 'Manage Attachments'. I presume the host doesn't want too much data being uploaded.

Ha, just noticed this in fine print at the bottom of the screen: "You may not post attachments". Am I on probation or what? :confused:

#19 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:44 AM

I've read the instructions on attaching photos, and I've tried two different browsers, but sorry, there is no button labeled 'Manage Attachments'. I presume the host doesn't want too much data being uploaded.

Ha, just noticed this in fine print at the bottom of the screen: "You may not post attachments". Am I on probation or what? :confused:

akimbo

You need to use an online photo storage provider. I use photo bucket. You then upload your photo. Once you save that photo there will be an "image code" "img....." that you can copy and then paste into your post. Then when you click on "Submit Reply" your picture will magically appear in your post.

When Mike, Dylan, G-MAN, or VHF read this they will probably click on something and allow you to post pictures. Try it out first anyway incase that statement is not true.

#20 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for the idea Sparky. I know I could create a photo bucket account . . . create links etc. but I don't want the hassle, their junk mail, etc. This forum needs a nudge into the 21st century.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users